Friday, December 11, 2015

Dizzy Disc Jr.


Dizzy Disc
Ages: 2 and up
Do you know someone who loves to spin?
For years I have wanted one of these for myself, ever since I first saw it at a therapeutic preschool program where I worked. A lot of people with young children with sensory processing issues buy a Sit ;n' Spin, which is a toy that requires you to sit on a disk, and use a wheel in the middle to pull themselves in a circle. I have not seen many kids actually use a Sit 'n' Spin... i think you have to be pretty small (probably under 2 years old) to be able to use it right.

Now, the Dizzy Disc Jr.... this is something else entirely! It is a disk which you can either sit criss-cross on, kneel on, lie across, or even stand on! If you sit criss-cross on it (or maybe with your legs sticking out) you can make it spin by leaning in one direction or another. Gravity will get you spinning like crazy. You can also adjust the angle of the disk, for even faster spinning power. I love this thing! Also, it supports up to 150 pounds, and probably more, so it can safely be used by older kids. I used to sit on this thing and spin on it quite often when I worked at a place that had it. Another way to use it is to lie across it, and use your arms to spin yourself. I've seen occupational therapists have children use it this way. I have never tried it standing up, but probably people with better coordination than e can do it

I want one! Buy one and send it to me, okay? Right now!

Another version is the Spin Disc, aka Gym Spin. This is a disk that is a little wider than the Dizzy Disc, and has handles on the sides for you to hang onto.  It does pretty much all the same things as a Dizzy Disc, plus you can apparently put something like a feeder seat or seat pad on it for kids who need assistance or more sensory input. I have never seen one of these in person, but I have watched several video reviews on it. It looks sturdy, but says it only accommodates up to 125 pounds. The bad news is, a lot of reviews I've read on it report that it broke after a month or so, and that the company would not replace it. So, do your own research... I wouldn't recommend this one as strongly as I would the Dizzy Disc.

Somewhere in the world is the original Dizzy Disc (not Jr) that can accommodate even more weight than the Dizzy Disc Jr. I have never seen it. It might just be a legend.


No comments:

Post a Comment