Friday, December 4, 2015

Beyond Playdough

I love things I can touch and squish... things that are pleasing to my sense of touch. Anything that is soft, or bumpy, or textured, or squeezable, is fascinating to me! This will probably be my favorite entry in this gift guide, as I list for you some of the many putties, doughs, clays, and more, that can be offered to kids with sensory needs.


Playfoam
This is a "dough" made of lots of little foam beads that are somehow stuck together by a mysterious, not-sticky, colored substance. It has a really interesting texture that is hard for me to stop playing with. It is a little bit like a Rice Krispie treat, maybe, but not that sticky. It doesn't stick to furniture or clothing. You can mold it into shapes that you like. It supposedly does not dry out like regular clay. Here is an adorable review video for you to watch.




Bubber
I got to try this out while working at the summer camp. I probably played with it as much as the kids did! It is moldable like regular clay, but extremely lightweight, fluffy, and soft! It is non-toxic, contains no gluten, and never dries out. You can mold it into different shapes, slice it, etc. I could play with it forever!


Skwooshi
This is a type of molding dough that seems to be a combination between regular playdough, and Kinetic Sand. I have never used it so I don't know exactly how it feels like, but from what I've read, it feels  a little like playdough but maybe dryer. You can squish it and mold it just like playdough. But if you pull it apart, it turns into sand that moves by itself and sort of drizzles out of your hands! I can see how this would provide me (and other sensory seekers) with hours of relaxation and fun.


Thinking Putty
I really want to try this stuff out but I haven't had the chance yet... I've just watched a whole lot of videos about it! It looks and feels a lot like "silly putty," but it also does interesting things. There are several different kinds. The kind I thought was the coolest was the Super Scarab, which has sort of a metallic gleen to it.. sort of like when you look at a puddle of oil and you can see different colors shining through. They also have a kind that is magnetic, a kind that glows in the dark, a kind that changes color, a kind that is clear, and all sorts of different colors, including Mistletoe Madness and Zombie Flesh. I really want to try some! Maybe your kids will find it in their stockings this year!

Those are all the doughs and putties I know of. If you know of more, please share!


No comments:

Post a Comment