Saturday, December 5, 2015

Buddha Board


Buddha Board
Ages: 3 and up
One of the things I struggle with is relaxation and mindfulness. Actually that is two things. Oh well. The point is, it is good for me to have things that can help me "actively relax." Some people might be able to relax by just sitting quietly and meditating. I, like many others with ADHD or autism, have a lot of trouble doing that. If I have something quiet and simple that I can concentrate on, it can really help me get centered.
Buddhist monks have, throughout history, painted with water on stone. They make a picture, and then watch it slowly disappear. The Buddha board is the same idea. Painting on the board, and then watching your picture fade away, can have a strangely calming effect. You could also use it to write or draw something you're worried or upset about, and then watch it fade away, symbolically sending the thought away. Or, just have children use it to practice their writing or fine motor skills!

No comments:

Post a Comment